How to Refund (RockRMS)
Refunds can be issued quickly and simply directly within RockRMS with the following two things kept in mind:
If you do not have the amount to cover the refund you have 3 options:
- Wait until the Next Deposit (open Simple Donation batch) >= amount refunded
- Issue a manual refund - a check from the church
- send a check to Simple Donation (extraordinary case)
If the refunded transaction is an ACH, it must have cleared but you may have 1 option:
- Refund a prior amount that is = to the amount given. The risk here is that if the ACH doesn't clear, you'll have refunded an amount that you'll never receive.
After logging into your RockRMS instance follow the steps below to quickly and easily issue a refund on any transaction.
- Navigate to the specific transaction via Finance - Batches, Finance - Transactions, or the Contributions tab on an individual's Person Profile page. Select the transaction you'd like to issue a refund on in order to get to the Transaction Details:
- Once you've selected a transaction you will be taken to the Transaction Detail page which shows all of the details related to the individual transaction including its history. Review the transaction to ensure its the correct one you'd like to issue a refund on, ensuring that the total amount in the open batch that it belongs to has enough funds to cover the refund. Click the "Refund" button on the transaction to begin the process:
In the pop-up Refund dialog, enter the Reason for the refund (required) and a Summary/Comment (optional). For a Simple Donation transaction you will want to ensure that the "Process refund through financial gateway" is selected:Click the " Save" button to submit the refund. That's all it takes, it's just so simple!
Note: That if you attempt to issue a refund for an amount larger than the total amount shown in the open batch that it belongs to (or your Next Deposit) then you will receive an error issuing the refund similar to the example below: